• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#214616 1 year, 10 months ago
musician smushician. That's inconsequential. Every Guitar Center is full of musical technicians who are about as clueless to the essence and true magical spirit of music as the rodents feeding off the cardboard in their dumpsters. I'm not one to bag on academia, but I'll leave those useless musician arguments to the music schools and instrument stores that are filled with people who suck at listening to music and who suck at understanding music beyond a simple equation and finger jocking.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#214618 1 year, 10 months ago
Still Takin it Weirder wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
I love the part where he does the opening of Other One over and over for 20 minutes

Rut roh ol I'll bite

Phil Solo Night One of 2 night run
Opening of other One> Childhoods End> Shoe Fits>Wave to the Wind>Unbroken Chain>Box of Rain E: Opening of Other One

Night 2

Phil Solo Night One
Opening of other One> Childhoods End> Shoe Fits>Wave to the Wind>Unbroken Chain>Box of Rain E: Opening of Other One

Bring on the flames

If he would put wave to the wind at the encore then I could leave early and get a jump on the traffic
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#214620 1 year, 10 months ago
Of course we were Jerry song fans! Bob annoyed me back then but that all changed when Jerry died. I love that man and everything he has done for the community.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#214623 1 year, 10 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
Of course we were Jerry song fans! Bob annoyed me back then but that all changed when Jerry died. I love that man and everything he has done for the community.
It was very easy to be annoyed with the Bob Weir of the 80s and 90s.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214642 1 year, 10 months ago
patchmyfurthur wrote:
Weirder: you missed the encore 2nd night would be the rest of the other one with phil on vox. ouch.

also, Beatles stars were.......Paul and John. The bassist and guitarist.

Now Phil and Bobby think they're the Beatles...lol jkjkjk

Um but paul was the songwriter singer of 1/2 the tunes. Harrison...had very few but great ones.

Oh & I forgot to mix it up Phil Would encore the second night with : Broken Arrow...... Also toss in a Pride a cucamonga each night to lenghten the show
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214643 1 year, 10 months ago
Denver Man wrote:

I don't think any "deadhead" worth his salt wasn't a fan of Jerry (in all aspects songwriting, singing and most of all playing)..and yes I know their were severe Bob haters even back in the day. He never annoyed me, I enjoyed his tunes, singing, & playing..
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214646 1 year, 10 months ago
ZenoMarx wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
It was very easy to be annoyed with the Bob Weir of the 80s and 90s.

Well its all in the ears/eyes of the beholder. To me Bobby (along with Brent) kept Jerry awake for alot of shows in the the 80's &90's .... and I like to "rock" I don't need a 2hr Dark Star (unless I was on a ten strip) ... as far as the 90's by 92 Bobby (along with Phil) was carrying the band. Hey its all opinion there is no "right" answer. I knew a few who Bobby "annoyed" but don't count me & many others among them. The GD would never have been the GD without all the classics Bobby brought to the table...nearly 1/2 the songbook & just to be clear I love Phil. I would also add the Kreutzmann is as classic to the "sound" as any of the big 3 ( thats what we used to call Jerrry, Phil, & Bobby). The sum was greater than whole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sweetwilliamisdead
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#214647 1 year, 10 months ago
Back in the day Bobby's over the top vocal antics did annoy some folks, you would hear stuff like "it ain't easy being cheesey" and "Hollywood bob" but I've always loved his playing style. Of course in 1977 the GD did 60 shows and they played Estimated 50 times that year but I love Estimated but might grow tired after 50.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#214650 1 year, 10 months ago
dr bakes wrote:
Back in the day Bobby's over the top vocal antics did annoy some folks, you would hear stuff like "it ain't easy being cheesey" and "Hollywood bob" but I've always loved his playing style. Of course in 1977 the GD did 60 shows and they played Estimated 50 times that year but I love Estimated but might grow tired after 50.

I personally loved those "over the top" vocals it was usually nearing a songs end when Bobby was "rocking out" Lovelight, Sugar Mag. LL Rain, Estimated HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....I love/loved that shit... if that deems me a fan of "cheese" I plead happily guilty. On another note... I have been holding this comment for awhile ..but since you mention something in the ballpark...... bringing on more hate.... with all these (extra) shows Phil has been doing outside of Further..not just Phil n Friends... certain songs are absolutely getting beat to death. Let me explain. I will only refer to my era of attending 81 on. There would basically be a spring, summer, fall tour with a few extras NYE run, Mardi gras run.......... Lets keep it simple I'll just use China>Rider and Shakedown as examples. China> Rider would on average be played 3 times a tour for a total of 9. Toss in 2 for the extras you get 11 China>Riders a year. Neither Jerry or Bobby played China>Rider outside of the GD. So that was it for the year ...to ME..it always made it more special.... and I "think" it would pump up the band more being "fresher". I'm not going to go count but the number of China>Riders is way way way way more this year. Onto Shakedown... it was a lil rarer..a couple a tour --maybe 6 or 7 all year... again "fresher" ...I'm not gonna count but the number of Shakedowns this year is again way way higher. When you heard the opening notes of Shakedown it was SHAKEDOWN WOHHOO pandemonium. Sugaree suffered this same fate when Ratdog and Phil & Friends were touring at the same time... and then in certain yrs even more when the Dead was playing too. To ME... it just takes some of the luster off.
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#214665 1 year, 10 months ago
perry wrote:
Celebrity death match?

Great idea!!!
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds