• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
gdrew817
Junior Boarder
All I Leave Behind Me Is Only What I Found

Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#214336 1 year, 9 months ago
In response to an earlier thread, where it was reduced that both Phil and Friends and Furthur are great only because Phil is in both bands.... (hopefully I'm wrong about that - but not so sure)

Who would you rather see solo on the stage... Bob or Phil? I think it's a fair question given the earlier commentary...
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

Re: Bob Weir vs. Phil Lesh

#214339 1 year, 9 months ago
Hey bro, if I am thinking of the same chain as noted in your start, I really didnt think the final conculsion was that either PL&F or Furthur was good only because of Phil. Certainly there were a lot of folks who really like PL&F, and perhaps more then Furthur, but as I read most of the comments, it was due to the more exploratory music and changing musicians more then anything else. Thus taste.

Either way, to answer your question I think it would be really cool to see either one, and dont know that I could make that call. Phil spent about 8-10 mins one night at TXR just playing by himself, practicing. It was pretty darn cool.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to me, especially after watching Bob this week on Weir Here, is that I am 100% certain (of course, IMHO) that this kind of thought NEVER, and I mean NEVER, enters in to their thinking.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#214341 1 year, 9 months ago
I choose Bobby. Mostly cause I love to hear Bobby sing.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#214342 1 year, 9 months ago
Oh boy ... I think I am going to do a Uturn and steer clear of this one.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#214346 1 year, 9 months ago
In fact Im going to listen to Looks Like Rain on my way home!
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#214381 1 year, 9 months ago
I'm a big fan of Bob's songs. I like his music sensibilities.
I was a big fan of Bob's playing when he was an actual rhythm guitarist, before turning into an industrial percussionist.
I love the way Bob uses negative space to create his lines.
Ace is one of the best Grateful Dead albums.
In the neo-hippie community where I grew up, I was the Bob Weir apologist and defender. He's proof that the less you know about your artistic heros, the better off you are.
I've strongly disliked Bob's choice in tones since sometime in the 80s.
I don't care for Bob's pinging and panging, percussive style now, which is why I really enjoy when he plays acoustic that much more.
I haven't had any luck whatsoever getting into Ratdog, and I've tried many, many times. I tried again last week with the Rat Brigade recommendation and listening to their show from that fest as well. Never cared for Kingfish or the Midnites.

For me, Phil is the center of this music now. Since 1995, he's changed my GD perspective a lot, and it's all been for the better. When he hangs it up, I will too. It's very unlikely that I'll go to anymore GD-related shows. It would have to be incredibly convenient or dumb-luck coincidental scenario for me to go see Bill or Mickey, though I will continue to be interested in what they're doing.

A Bob Furthur setlist is far inferior to a Phil Furthur setlist. For my likings anyway.

I'd pick Phil every time, but it would be a more difficult choice if I was limited to say '70-'78. When I think of Bob Weir, I think of those years. He shines brightly there. Now I think of him as a guy in a blazer saying smug shit about the audience, being rather ungratefully flippant, and irritating my experience on the recordings. But make no mistake. He's not a novelty, nor is he merely gandfathered into it all with Furthur. I'm thankful he is there. He's integral to the experience.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
The following user(s) said Thank You: funky420
wharfrat71
Junior Boarder

#214399 1 year, 9 months ago
I started the other thread. Hahahahaha. Now, this is downright offensive!!! Just kidding. But, I choose Phil. Oh wait.......just kidding!! Man, I could not answer that. Bobby!.......
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#214410 1 year, 9 months ago
PBR ME A.S.A.P.
The voices tell me what to say
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#214419 1 year, 9 months ago
gdrew817 wrote:
In response to an earlier thread, where it was reduced that both Phil and Friends and Furthur are great only because Phil is in both bands.... (hopefully I'm wrong about that - but not so sure)

Who would you rather see solo on the stage... Bob or Phil? I think it's a fair question given the earlier commentary...

neither, I prefer them both on stage together, are you friggin' kiddin' me.........................
-- smell every flower --
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#214522 1 year, 9 months ago
listening to phil play his bass parts on stage by himself would cause a ton of people to scratch their heads. it wouldn't be anything like when weir does his solo stuff.

phil and friends rocks because he brings in world class and local type musicians and just takes it wherever it's willing to go.

i've seen weir by himself, and i don't ever need to see it again.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime, sweetwilliamisdead
Time to create page: 2.88 seconds